Print

MINUTES OF THE OPEN SPACES COMMITTEE OF LONGPARISH PARISH
COUNCIL HELD AT NEWTON COTTAGE ON 31 OCTOBER 2005 AT 19.45

PRESENT

Mr J Barber

Mrs J Jolliffe

Mrs C Sweet

Mr R R Bourne

Mr D Gould

Mr D Wright

05/13 APOLOGIES

Apologies had been received from Mr T Cooper and Mr M Johnson.

05/14 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 20 JUNE 2005

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved. They can be found on the Longparish
website at www.longparish.org.uk.

05/15 MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

The only matter arising not covered elsewhere is the Ashburn Rest. Local input received after the
consultation notice went into Hill & Valley had all been positive, in favour of retaining this as a
piece of village heritage. Three joineries had been contacted and were due to provide written
quotes. The firms were: Contessa Joinery, SB Joinery, and “Complete Carpentry Services” in
Andover. Once we had a quote, we could identify sources of funding. Contact had been made
with the Vitacress Charity. Informal soundings suggested that this was the sort of application that
they could respond to, provided they had quotes and details of the work needed to be done. The
Parish Council would need to explain why it was not taking full responsibility for the costs, as it
was an asset of the Council’s.

Action: Mrs Sweet to obtain quotes and bring to the attention of the Parish Council meeting in
November. Once quotes were received, she would also contact the Vitacress Charity and TVBC
to see what other sources of funding could be available.

05/16 CLEAN UP DAY-19 NOVEMBER

The date had been fixed in consultation with the Parish Council and announced in this month’s
issues of Hill & Valley. Volunteers were asked to meet at the Ashburn Rest at 11 am, with a
sandwich lunch at the Cricketers at 1.15, which has been booked. Mr Barber and Mrs Joliffe
agreed to manage the work on the day, as Mrs Sweet was unavailable.

Action: Mrs Sweet would ensure that poster signs would be put up in the usual places by the 11

th

of November.

05/17 ACCESS AND BOUNDARY ISSUES

-

SOUTHSIDE COMMON

Advice had been received from Hampshire Association of Parish and Town Councils (HAPTC)
regarding the disputed boundary between the “pocket nature reserve” and an adjoining property.
The Committee agreed to discuss this and other access issues with Mr A Smith, Hampshire


Country Council’s Asst Head of Countryside Services, to see what might be the best course of
action. One suggestion was to seek to make an entry in the Land Registry, so it will come up in
any land search conducted upon sale of the property concerned and the new owner would be
obliged to deal with it.

Action: Mr Barber and Mrs Sweet would meet with Mr Smith on 16 November at 7.30pm.

-

BRITWELL PRIORS/RIVER ACCESS

Mrs Kent had raised this issue of river access at the Parish Council meeting in September. Some
time ago, it had been possible to walk down to the river from the mown area at the top of the path
near Britwell Priors, and she asked whether this could be re-instated. The consultation for the
Parish Plan had also revealed a wide-spread wish amongst villagers for more access to the river.
The Cleeves area was registered common land, and therefore the right to roam applied. The
question of access rights will be included in the discussion with Mr Smith. We would, however,
need to identify exactly who owned which parts of the land involved, so that we could make the
right approaches.

Action: Mr Barber would speak to the agent for Longparish Estate to find out the current
ownership and how this might change.

-

THE CHALK AND SAND PITS

Mr Barber reported that he had received informal advice that due to the Crow Act, there would be
no liabilities arising from anyone entering these two areas. Again the point will be discussed with
Mr Smith.

-

THE VILLAGE GREEN (VG203)

Mr Barber reported on the situation regarding the village green, and arrangements that had been
made for mowing paths in this area. The area registered was clear from the parish records and
the text of the HCC Commons Register but there was a transcription error in the map. This land
may be in the process of being sold from the Longparish Estate to another.

Action: Mr Barber would raise the matter with Mr Hancock, the Longparish Estate agent, to find
out the state of play.

05/18 PLAYGROUND AND SKATE RAMP

Since the last meeting the ROSPA report had been received. It drew our attention to a number of
small repairs- most of which were cited as “low” or “medium” risk.

The Skate ramp had been painted since the previous meeting, thanks to Mr Barber’s efforts with
local youth volunteers, who were thanked for their assistance. Some concern was raised
regarding the lifting of the laminate surface.

Action: Mrs Sweet would contact the supplier to inspect the skate ramp on his next drive by the
area to look at lifting laminate and other issues that might need more serious repairs.

The new picnic bench had arrived and was due to be installed shortly. Mr P Harris was thanked
by the Committee for his assistance on this matter. The cannibalised parts had been made into
another “used” bench. Committee members’ views were consulted as to where best it could go,
and it was agreed that a second bench in the playground would be welcomed by users.


Mrs Sweet reported on discussions with Barton Stacey’s Parish Clerk about the supplier for their
playground signs. A supplier had been found in Andover that was able to supply a sign for the
playground and the skate ramp- made of double sided plastic, sandwiching a metal sheet, at an
estimated £25 plus VAT. The Committee authorised her to order these.

Action: Mrs Sweet to contact Utopia Designs at the Walworth Enterprises Centre to order the two
signs.

05/19 CEMETERY AND CAR PARK

The Committee expressed its gratitude to the 5 volunteers who had turned out in August to fill in
rabbit holes. The mowing contractor had been pleased with the results. Mrs Sweet reported that
Cullen Memorial Monuments had been contacted for the annual clean-up and it that would be
occurring before the 11

th of November.

Mr Gould reported that a burial plot that had been bought in 1988 has been returned to the
Council as unwanted. He advised that it would be used at the next request for a burial plot.

The Committee discussed plans to improve the footpaths within the cemetery. Three quotes had
been received last year for the path improvements, in particular to make the surface “wheelchair
friendly”. Mr Bourne reported that a supplier had been advised that their quote was acceptable,
but they were also told that the project would be deferred as no money had been budgeted for
this purpose in the financial year 2004/5. An allocation had been made for this financial year of
£1,500. The Committee discussed whether the time elapsed would require us to seek another 3
quotes, or whether it would be acceptable simply to ask the supplier chosen last year to adjust his
figures. The Committee urged that the process take place quickly, so that the work could be
conducted as requested “during the winter months”.

Action: Mrs Sweet would consult back minutes and correspondence to ensure that proper
procurement procedures were being followed. If so, then she would contact the contractor for a
revised quote and a start date and TVBC about possible assistance with the cost.

05/20 FOOTBALL FIELD

The Committee discussed plans for rabbit culls and rabbit proofing. Most householders in the
immediate vicinity of the pitch had already been contacted informally about this. The Committee
agreed to proceed with the supplier Mr P Nicholson of Nether Wallop, at the cost of £2 a head of
culled rabbit, and that the process would take place between now and Christmas.

Action: Mr Barber would speak to the Wills Estate Agent, Mr C Hewlett, to inform him of the
plans and seek formal permission for access to the surrounding land in order to conduct the cull.

05/21 CONTRACTS

Mrs Sweet reported that the four contractors for grass cutting had all been contacted and asked
to produce a quote for next year’s services. She expected these to be in line with last year’s
quotes, with some upward adjustments likely to reflect rising fuel costs.

Action: Mrs Sweet to respond once quotes had been received, and to include any price revisions
in the 2006/7 budget estimates (see below).


05/22 2006/7 BUDGET ESTIMATES

The allocation for the Open Spaces in the current financial year had been £7,500. Once quotes
had been received for the grass cutting contracts, a new submission would be prepared for the
Parish Council meeting on 14 November. The principal item of expenditure would be a
contribution to the repair of the Ashburn Rest. Another possible large expenditure could be a
rabbit fence for the football pitch. Comparable quotes obtained for the school playing field had
been in the range of £5,000. While 50% of the cost could be covered by grant from TVBC, and
another 10% from the Playing Fields Association, that would leave some £2k on the budget.
Once the rabbit cull had been completed, the Committee would have to decide whether an annual
cull would be as cost-effective over the five years of a rabbit fence’s life.

05/23 OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL MATTERS

-

MISSING WHEELIE BINS- The Committee was advised about the missing wheelie bins

and their locking brackets, and agreed to request their return.

Action: The Clerk Mr P Jarrett had agreed to contact Test Valley Borough Council regarding
this.

-

BUS SHELTERS- The Committee expressed its thanks to Mrs R Lowry for painting the

bus shelter near the shop. The other two bus shelters in the village were believed to be in
satisfactory condition.

-

ALLOTMENTS- Mrs G Goodliffe would appear to have resumed responsibility for the

rent collection for the allotments.

Action: Mrs Sweet would contact Mrs Goodliffe about vacancies so these can be advertised in
Hill & Valley in good time for the next growing season.

-

NEW POWERS COMING INTO EFFECT IN 2006- Mrs Sweet reported on the new Clean

Neighbourhoods and Environmental Act 2005. Provisions coming into effect in April 2006 will
offer Parish Councils new powers to take action regarding dog ”offences” (fouling, off leads in
certain areas, excluded from certain land entirely), fly tipping, graffiti and litter. These powers
could include the power to issue fixed penalty notices (FPNs), where the sums have been set by
the County. Parish councils may be able to keep the proceeds- although there seems to be some
work that needs to be done in the guidance yet to be issued. She would keep the Committee
apprised of developments.

05/24 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed. A date for the next
meeting would be canvassed, but it would be likely to occur in the spring.