Print

MINUTES OF THE OPEN SPACES COMMITTEE OF LONGPARISH PARISH

COUNCIL HELD IN THE COMMITTEE ROOM OF THE VILLAGE HALL ON 20

JUNE 2005 AT 19.30

PRESENT

Mr J Barber

Mrs J Jolliffe

Mrs C Sweet

Mr T Cooper

Mr D Gould

05/01 APOLOGIES

Apologies were received from Mr R R Bourne and Mr M Johnson

05/02 MEMBERSHIP AND ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN

Mr Barber noted the resignation of Mrs Jolliffe from the chair, and thanked her for her contribution
over the past years. He was grateful for her willingness to remain on the Open Spaces
Committee for this meeting and the next to affect a handover to the new Chairman. He advised
the Committee that the Parish Council had agreed to co-opt a new member to the Committee,
Mrs Catherine Sweet, who agreed to assume the role of Chairman, whilst relying on other
members of the Committee to assist her in a number of delegated tasks. The Committee
members agreed to consider nominations for additional members, and to make the necessary
approaches.

05/03 MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 4 OCTOBER 2004

The minutes of the previous meeting were on the Longparish website at www.longparish.org.uk.

05/04

MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MEETING

There were only two matters arising that were not covered by an agenda item: the removal of the
Thuya tree from the school and the budget. The Thuya stump had been removed from the car
park since the previous meeting. The 2005/6 budget had been set and agreed, as recommended,
for £7,500 (ex VAT) for Open Spaces.

05/05

SOUTHSIDE COMMON

The Village Open Spaces Committee and other interested parties had undertaken an inspection
tour on the 13

th of June, and visited the pocket nature reserve to assess progress. The

arrangement made last year with Mr Knipe to mow and make other improvements to develop the
Common as a nature reserve was judged to have been successful. A circular path had been
mown. Work parties had been organised by Mr Knipe to complete the work. A handout had been
drafted and was being reviewed, subsequent to production. The Committee discussed whether
an “interpretation board” could be set up in the space. The chairman will pursue this with
Mr Knipe, and to request his latest invoice be submitted for payment. ACTION PK/CS

Mr Barber reported on legal advice that had been received regarding the boundaries of the area.
He will provide a copy of this to the Chairman. ACTION JB


05/06 PLAYGROUND AND SKATE RAMP

Since the previous meeting, a number of improvements had been made. Hampshire County
Council had paid for a playground street sign to be erected. In 2004 chain link fencing had been
installed in part of the area to reduce risks. The latest ROSPA Safety Inspection had taken place
in May 2005, and we were awaiting delivery of the report. ACTION CS

The Chairman and Committee were grateful that Mr T Cooper volunteered to undertake the
weekly inspection of the playground and skate ramp. Other members would do so when he was
unable to visit. ACTION TC

The Village Inspection tour had noted that the safety surface by the slide was lifting. As this was
no longer under guarantee, we would need to consider what options were open for repair. The
Clerk would be asked to locate the invoice for the original supplier to see if repairs can be done.
ACTION JB/PJ

One quote for the ‘Contact Notice' specifying telephone contact details for the Clerk had been
received, but it was believed that a second, cheaper, quote should be obtained. The locked notice
board had been vandalized, and an alternative to the key-holder arrangements was needed.
ACTION CS

A number of attempts by Mr Barber to organise painting the skate ramp had been thwarted by
adverse weather conditions; it was hoped that another day could be organised when it could be
completed, perhaps with the assistance of users. ACTION JB

The Clerk needed the invoice for the “Wok” to reclaim the VAT. ACTION JB/Clerk

The insurers had agreed to provide up to £700 to replace the damaged picnic bench. The
damaged one would be removed. The committee agreed to order a new bench from the supplier
who provided the previous one. ACTION JB

05/07 CEMETERY AND CAR PARK

The 2005/6 budget had set aside £1500 for repairs to the paths, gravestones and grass cutting.
Path materials would need to be wheelchair friendly. We may be eligible for a TVBC Leisure
Services Minor Capital Works Grant, but this would need to be investigated. Subsidence and
uneven areas were making the mowing difficult, and encroachment of the path onto graves was
noted in one or two places. It was agreed that a volunteer work party would be sought to fill in
some of the worst of the rabbit holes and subsidence, as a stop-gap measure. A notice in the
August issue of Hill & Valley would be placed seeking volunteers. If this proved unsuccessful, it
could be merged with the autumn clean up day. ACTION CS

05/08 CLEAN UP DAY

The spring clean up day had been successful at clearing the streams, and the Committee
expressed their gratitude to Mrs Jolliffe and Mr M Lampard for organizing it. The autumn dates
would be agreed at later time. ACTION CS

05/09 FOOTBALL FIELD

The Committee noted the continuing success of the youth football club, and agreed to provide Mr
M Hulme with £200 for “equipment” (eg balls and goals). ACTION JB


The success of the club encouraged longer term arrangements to be made with the Middleton
Estate. With a more secure tenancy, we would be eligible for grants. Mr Barber agreed to get the
documentation needed for this tenancy. ACTION JB

The mole problem was being successfully contained by the current pest control arrangements,
but rabbit problems persisted. Possible rabbit fencing had been explored and estimated costs
were on the order of £5,000, for which a 60% grant might be available. Difficulties could emerge
with the drive way and pub access points as these are not gated at present. ACTION JB

The problem with dog mess continued. As the school would be using the football pitch during the
autumn term, this was a concern. Notices and word of mouth would be needed to reinforce the
message. Contact would be made with the TVBC Dog Warden.

Test Valley BC had not yet marked out or lined the pitch area. As it would be used for school
purposes, Mr Barber would raise it with the School Head, in the hope that she might be more
persuasive with the Council. ACTION JB

05/10 ALLOTMENTS

Noted that Mr Charlie Smith has taken over rental collection from Mrs Goodliffe. A rabbit fence
had been installed at Middleton Estate’s expense, and was welcomed. If vacancies existed, these
would be advertised in Hill & Valley for the next growing season. ACTION CS

05/11 MATTERS ARISING FROM VILLAGE INSPECTION

Arrangements for “trimming and strimming” the Village Green and mowing its footpath had been
made with the Longparish Estate. Threeway discussions were underway with the Estate and
Hampshire County Council regarding the registration of the common land. ACTION JB

The Village Inspection Tour had noted the continuing deterioration of the Ashburn Rest. Mr J
Barber would seek input from the village with a mention in Hill & Valley. Action JB

The tour had also viewed the Chalk Pit. It was noted that is unclear where the Parish’s control
ends and that of Vale Farm begins. A risk analysis of the liabilities of the Parish for the chalk,
sand and gravel pits needed assessment.

05/12 DATE OF NEXT MEETING

There being no further business, the Chairman declared the meeting closed. A date for the
autumn meeting would be canvassed, but it would be likely to occur in October.